Sunday 27 January 2013

Anzac biscuits

No, it's not Anzac Day but with today being Australia Day we thought we'd take along Anzac biscuits to Monday's afternoon tea.  It looks like it's going to be an Aussie theme.  I've heard talk of vegemite sandwiches, snags in bread and lamingtons!

I hadn't thought to include an Anzac biscuit recipe on the blog before I left home so now I was stranded without my favourite recipe.  It's been a long time since I made them so I emailed my mum who provided the following from our old school cookbook.  I'm thinking that might be where I got my recipe in the first place.  We'll see how they turn out!

Anzac Day might have been a better time to talk about Anzac biscuits but now that I've started I thought I should include a link for how they came about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_biscuit


High School Anzacs

Ingredients:
2 cups oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon Golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicab soda
2 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup melted butter

Method:
Combine sugar, flour and oats
Mix golden syrup, bicarb soda and boiling water
While frothing add melted butter
Pour into dry ingredients and mix
Drop spoonfuls onto a baking tray - allow room for the biscuits to spread
Bake at 160c about 20 mins

My recipe doesn't use coconut but I know a lot of them do.  I did a browse on the internet the other day and found this one.  It's close to my favourite recipe but it has coconut in it.  Worth a try.


Ingredients:
  • 125 grams butter
  • 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2  cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tablespoons boiling water
Method:
  1. Heat the oven to 180c (350F). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
  2. Combine the flour, oats, sugar, and coconut in a mixing bowl.
  3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat then add the golden syrup.
  4. Using a cup, add the boiling water to the bicarb soda and stir quickly.  Then add this to the melted butter/syrup.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
  6. Roll into walnut size balls and flatten them slightly with a fork onto the tray about 5cm apart as they will spread.
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Take tray from the oven and let biscuits sit on tray for 5 minutes.
  9. Remove the biscuits from the tray and finish cooling on a wire rack.

4 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Hi Elly,
Thanks for the recipies... but I buy mine ready made at Sainsbury's LOL
On a serious note though a small percentage of the cost of the packet is donated to the Royal British Legion, so that good too :)
Kevin

Elly and Mick said...

Oh, no... there is nothing so good as the smell of Anzacs cooking. Home made every time!
Elly

Catherine said...

Can you buy golden syrup easily?
Catherine

Elly and Mick said...

Catherine,
I thought that might be a problem too but a visit to Tesco the other day and there was more to choose from than in Australia!
Elly